“Fuffy, buttery crust and sweet, syrupy berries make one delicious Southern blackberry cobbler! An easy recipe full of fresh blackberries!”
Watch me make this southern blackberry cobbler from start to finish!
“That’s not a southern cobbler, a southern cobbler has a bottom and top crust!” Yep, I’m already expecting to hear that line because it’s been a Southern debate for years. I’ve never understood these type of debates. They are all pretty silly and really does depend on which part of the south you’re in.
Ya see this peach cobbler I made, it has a bottom and top crust, yet it’s a peach cobbler and not a peach pie. Huh? Yeah, see what I mean. Muy loco! Don’t get involved in the crazy, stubborn food debates of the south. It is a no-win battle
If it tastes good then that’s all the matter right? Oh …and by the way, THIS IS a Southern Blackberry Cobbler, forget what ya heard! Ha! I couldn’t resist! Blame the Taurus in me.
Ok enough of that let’s talk about this blackberry COOOOBBLERRRR! (And yes I’m stressing the cobbler part on purpose. I’m in a bratty mood today, please forgive me)
I’m pretty sure I’ve told you guys how much I love me a cobbler! Like is there any easier dessert? They are so rustic and comforting and you really can throw in any kind of berry. Throw on a side of vanilla ice cream (which is a must by the way) and you’ve got something serious about to take place.
My favorite berry is blackberries so it’s pretty safe to say that no other cobbler comes close to the old-fashioned blackberry cobbler for me. It seriously makes me happy when I take one of these bubbling beauties out of the oven! It awakens my inner June Clever and Super Woman all at the same time.
With that fluffy, buttery, biscuity crust and those sweet, syrupy berries…CLAUDE HAM MERCY!! (That’s the way my great grandfather used to say Good Lord Have Mery LOL Gotta love the deep south. )
- 3½ cups fresh blackberries
- 1½ cup sugar, divided
- 2 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon zest (optional)
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Generously grease 8X8 deep pan. (I used a deep dish pie plate). Set aside.
- Add blackberries, ½ cup sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest (if using) to a medium-sized bowl.
- Toss gently to combine until sugar has dissolved.Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together butter and remaining sugar.
- Add flour, baking powder, and salt
- Mix in vanilla extract & milk just until combined. (Batter will be a bit lumpy. Do not over mix)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Spoon the blackberries on top in an even layer, do not stir.
- Bake on middle rack for 45-50 minutes until center is set. (check on it at the 35-minute mark)
- Remove from oven and let cool.
Get more cobbler action!