I was chatting it up on my facebook fanpage when one of my reader-friends asked if I had a recipe for red velvet waffles. I’d never heard of such a beautiful thing but I knew I wanted it in my life ASAP. Especially since I’m pretty much over my banana nut pancake and cinnamon roll pancake addiction.
I mean come on, red velvet cake in waffle form??? In the words of the almighty Beyonce’ “Give it to mama!!”
Since I don’t have a waffle iron I decided to do pancakes instead and I’m so glad I did.
Since I’d never made these before, I decided to try out a few other red velvet pancake recipes online. Most of them called for vinegar and sour cream or yogurt. I wasn’t too fond of the texture and heaviness of those pancakes so I just used one of my favorite go-to pancake recipes and added some cocoa powder, sugar, buttermilk and food coloring. It totally worked out beautifully!!
Shhh…nobody has to know they are this simple to make.
These made such an amazing, elegant and impressive looking breakfast.
I was a lil nervous that it would be super sweet with the cream cheese glaze but it was perfect. The pancakes came out fluffy, lightly sweetened with that signature light chocolate taste just like red velvet cake . Of course the cream cheese glaze was the icing on the cake : )
These red velvet pancakes will definitely be a repeat in our house. I can’t wait to make these for company and see their reaction.
For more drama, top it with cool whip and sprinkle on some shaved white chocolate and nuts.
**SEE THE PRINTABLE RECIPE LINK TO SEE HOW I CHANGED UP THE WAY I ADDED IN THE FOOD COLORING TO PREVENT OVERSTIRRING*** IF YOU OVERSTIR THESE (OR ANY) PANCAKES THEY WILL TURN OUT RUBBERY AND DENSE. THE BATTER SHOULD STILL HAVE A FEW LUMPS.
Watch me make these Red Velvet Pancakes from start to finish!!!
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 4 teaspoons red food coloring
- Cream Cheese Glaze
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons milk (may need a few drop more)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- powdered sugar, garnish
- ) In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, & cocoa powder.
- ) Add in egg, buttermilk, butter, vanilla extract, & red food coloring
- *note* In the video I added in the red food coloring last, but after making these again, I think it’s easier to add the coloring in before stirring everything up.
- ) Stir it up gently until combined. The batter should still have a few lumps in it. You don’t want to stir it until it’s completely smooth.
- ) Let the batter sit for 10-15 minutes, while you make the glaze.
- ) In a medium size bowl, add all of the cream cheese glaze ingredients and blend until smooth and silky. Set aside.
- ) Preheat griddle and grease with butter.
- ) When hot, add pancakes. I used ¼ cup per pancake.
- ) Flip with the first few bubbles start to break on the surface of the pancake.
- ) When the other side is soft and pillowy to the touch, it’s done!
- ) Stack on a plate.
- ) Stack one pancake on a plate and spread on a layer of cream cheese glaze.
- ) Repeat with another pancake.
- ) Stack the third pancake and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
- ) Pipe on the cream cheese glaze. Serve.