One of my favorite pound cakes has to be whipping cream pound cake. I’m a sucker for that moist, tender, velvety texture although some would argue that this is the very thing that disqualifies it from being a true pound cake.
Never had a whipping cream pound cake before? Chances are you may have and probably just thought it was a really moist and light classic poundcake. It’s pretty much made the same way as a poundcake with the same basic ingredients but with heavy whipping cream instead of milk. The heavy whipping cream creates a very light, soft, tight crumb and makes the cake really moist.
The taste is pretty much like a classic pound cake as well, depending on the extracts you use. I always go with vanilla & almond extract or vanilla and butter extract with a bit of lemon extract. If you’re feeling creative I’ve read (never tried) that you can replace half of the heavy whipping cream with flavored coffee creamer. I plan on trying this in the fall time when all of those yummy limited-time flavored coffee creamers come out. I’ll report back.
I actually prefer to use slices of whipping cream poundcake for my strawberry shortcakes over sponge cake.
Watch me make this whipping cream pound cake from start to finish!
Moist Whipping Cream Pound Cake
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: dessert, cake
- 3 sticks (1½ cups) unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups white sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ -1 teaspoon almond extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- In a large bowl cream the butter with the sugar until well combined (about 5 minutes)
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix completely after each egg.
- Alternate adding the flour and heavy whipping cream, mixing thoroughly after each addition.
- Stir in the extracts.
- Grease and flour a 9.5 bundt pan.
- Spoon the batter into the pan and jiggly the pan to even out the batter when done.
- Place into a cold oven on the middle rack and turn the oven to 325.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan for a fe minutes before removing to finish cooling on a cooling rack.
- Serve and enjoy!