“Decadent chocolate poke cake made from scratch! Topped with whipped chocolate topping”
Poke cakes are so fun to make. There is something satisfying about poking holes in a cake and then flooding it with a luscious filling!
Today we’re gonna be whipping up this homemade chocolate poke cake. It’s one of my favorite poke cake flavors. You can expect to see more poke cakes around here. Remember when I went through my brownie/ blondie phase? Well now I’m all about poke cakes! Oh the variety!!!
Wait…have you ever had a chocolate poke cake before??? If not, think fluffy, chocolate cake with pockets of melted chocolate lustfulness topped with chocolate whipped cream topping and mini chocolate chips.
Yeah…it’s amazing and yeah it’s chocolate insanity. A side of vanilla ice cream and world peace could be achieved momentarily.
This cake has three steps (the cake, the chocolate sauce and the whipped chocolate frosting) Sounds time consuming right? No worries though because all the steps are crazy easy!
If you have a homey, lover, or friend who loves chocolate, this cake will make them love you forever so be careful who you make it for! It’s perfect for special occasions, date night or in my case, no reason at all!
Watch me make this homemade chocolate poke cake from start to finish!
- CHOCOLATE CAKE
- ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup plain prepared, hot coffee or hot water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- CHOCOLATE FILLING
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- CHOCOLATE WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup cocoa powder, sifted
- ½ cup powdered sugar, sifted
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips (garnish)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Grease and flour a 9 x 13 baking pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, oil, brown sugar, and white sugar.
- Mix in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Mix in unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Mix in buttermilk and plain hot coffee until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add in flour.
- Sprinkle in salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix until batter is smooth.
- Pour batter in prepared pan and smooth out.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until moist crumbs cling to a toothpick inserted into the center.
- To prepare the filling (while cake is baking) add sweetened condensed milk and chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir and microwave in 10 second intervals until chocolate is melted. Set aside.
- When cake comes out of the oven, poke small holes all over the cake about an inch apart.
- Pour the chocolate filling all over cake.
- Let cake cool completely. (I place it in the fridge)
- To make the whipped topping, add heavy cream in a medium bowl.
- Mix until cream begins to thicken and fluff.
- Do not over mix, once cream is fluffy, stop mixing.
- Stir in unsweetened cocoa powder and powdered sugar until smooth.
- Fold in vanilla extract.
- Spread whipped topping over cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate until whipped topping is firm (I normally skip this step and dig right in)
- Store cake in the refrigerator.
Adapted from lifelovesandugar.com