It’s snowing! It’s snowing!! The only time I usually make up a pot of homemade chicken and dumplings is when it’s snowing outside! And today….BINGO WE GOT ACTION!!!!
This homemade chicken and dumpling recipe is quicker than most, full of flavor and has that southern, old fashioned flair. If you prefer your dumplings cakey like the Bisquick kind then bypass this recipe because you will be highly disappointed…or you may just find that you like this way MUCH better. (I know I do!)
These dumplings are tender, moist, and has just the right of amount of “doughiness” (does that make sense?) The butter-flavored Crisco really sets them off and when they’ve had a chance to soak up that chicken broth overnight…HONEY HUSH!!!
You could easily add in more veggies like celery and onions to take this pot of chicken and dumpling to the next level of Downright Sinful.
What I love the most about this chicken and dumpling recipe is that is it easy and doesn’t require all day to prepare it.
- 1 to 1½ pounds of uncooked chicken breast
- 8 cups water
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of celery flakes
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 4-5 teaspoons of bouillon granules
- 2 cups of frozen peas and carrots (optional)
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- A few dashes of poultry seasoning ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter-flavored Crisco
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup chicken stock
- In a large pot add in the chicken and all of the Stock ingredients EXCEPT for the bouillon granules.
- Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to medium. Cook for 15-20 minutes (depending on the thickness of the chicken) or until chicken is cooked. Do not overcook or you'll have some tough chicken on your hands
- When done, remove chicken and set aside to cool off.
- Remove one cup of the broth and place in the refrigerator to cool off (this will be for our dumplings!) NOTE: If you like a more flavorful dumpling do this step after you have added the bouillon and seasoned the broth to your liking.
- Add the bouillon granules to the pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a low simmer. Taste the stock and make sure it has a wonderful taste. Add in more pepper or seasoning if needed.
- Add in the frozen peas and carrots.
- In a bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and a few dashes of poultry seasoning. Whisk until combined
- Next add the butter-flavored Crisco and use your hands or a pastry cutter to blend until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add in the egg and the 1 cup of chilled chicken stock. Use your hands to combine the ingredients well. Dough will be sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a well- floured surface and knead lightly. Add more flour if needed if the dough is too sticky to handle
- Roll the dough out until it is ⅛th inch thick. Cut 1 inch squares with a knife or pizza cutter (horizontally and then vertically).
- Bring the stock to a boil and drop in the dumplings. Be sure to stir the dumplings often to prevent it from sticking. Cook for 10-15 minutes on medium.
- Shred up the cooled chicken and add it to the stock.