Is there anyone out there that love Cheez-It or really any kind of cheese cracker, as much as I do? I can eat a whole bag of goldfish in one day. There is just something about that salty, crunchy, cheddar flavor that does it for me.
I go through stages though and right now, I’m in a serious cheese cracker stage. After going through a box of Cheez-Its with Isaac I figured it was time we made our own cheese crackers. At least that way we can control what’s in it and I wouldn’t feel as guilty for feeding my son and unborn baby a bunch of crap.
God only knows why store-bought cheese crackers have so many ingredients and most of them are kinda weird. I’m not complaining though because I’m sure I’ll smash another box or 100 in my lifetime.
Meanwhile though I’m so loving this recipe for homemade cheese crackers. They are suppose to taste just like cheez-its according to the recipe we got off PBS. They’re pretty similar, but not exactly dead-on which is totally ok because for just 4 simple ingredients they are so yummy and takes care of my cheese cracker addiction. You may actually like them better than Cheez-Its since they have that fresh baked taste.
You can certainly get all fancy shmancy and add in spices like paprika, cayenne, black pepper, garlic powder, etc or even change out the cheese to get a whole new flavor if you wish. I’ve only tried it with plain sharp cheddar and smoked sharp cheddar, both are heavenly.
These homemade cheese crackers taste great with homemade tomato soup by the way! You can also shape them anyway you like. Easy, simple, delicious and versatile, we like those kinda recipes right?
Watch me make these Homemade Cheese Crackers from start to finish!
Homemade Cheese Crackers
By divas can cook
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼-1/2 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup flour
- course kosher salt for sprinkling, optional
- Add all ingredients, except kosher salt into a food processor.
- Process until a dough forms.
- Shape dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour (I cheated and did 30 minutes)
- Remove dough from fridge and let it soften.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll the dough out on a smooth surface until it is about ⅛ inch thick.
- Use a pizza cutter or pastry wheel and make 1-inch squares.
- Sprinkle dough with kosher salt if desired.
- Use the end of a wooden screwer to make holes in the center of each square.
- Place the squares on a cookie sheet lined with non-stick foil or parchment paper.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until bottoms are barely golden.
- Let crackers sit in the pan for a minute before removing to a cooling rack. Crackers will crisp up more as they cool so be sure not to over bake.
- Store in an airtight container.