“A simple & delicious fresh roasted tomato soup with grilled cheese sticks! Easy recipe with big flavor!”
Are you are visual learner? Check out my step by step video for this fresh roasted tomato soup & grilled cheese!
As I’m typing this post the rain is really coming down here in NC. I LOVE days like this. It makes me wanna just cuddle up on the couch, read, bake, eat and repeat!
My husband looooves tomato soup on rainy days! He’ll crack open a can and grab a sleeve of saltine crackers in a heartbeat.
While eating a bowl of canned tomato soup I asked if he’d ever had homemade tomato soup made with, you know, real tomatoes and stuff. He replied “nope” and happily woofed down his mystery soup.
Bless his heart. Since tomato soup isn’t really my thang I’d never even bothered to make it. I knew he’d loose his mind over a batch of REAL tomato soup so I was excited to “show him the light”. I didn’t even have to go to the store. Just simple, easy, fresh ingredients that I had in stock! The perfect way to use up fresh tomatoes!
Nothing beats roasted tomatoes for tomato soup! That’s the only way to go for maximum flavor in my opinion.
Let me just say this now…tomato soup is the BOMB!!! I can’t believe I’ve been ignoring this stuff for so long! Or maybe I should say fresh, roasted tomato soup is the bomb!!! I couldn’t stop eating this soup and the grilled cheese sticks just made it all a match made in heaven!
Talk about bold flavor. I don’t remember it tasting this good when I was younger. I’ve made it twice already. And that splash of heavy cream at the end….. mercy! It’s so good and as with most tomato dishes, it’s even better the next day!
Tomato soup certainly has a bit of elegance to it. Maybe it’s the simplicity and richness.
Now you certainly can get all fancy on me and roast up some pepper, carrots, celery and thangs to add some ump! But I seriously prefer this soup simple with just that hint of sweet onion and roasted garlic and herbs. Delish!
- TOMATO SOUP
- 5 medium-sized vine-ripe tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- ½ white onion, sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 4-5 fresh basil leaves, plus more for garnishing
- oregano, sprig
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (can use more or less)
- smoked sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- heavy cream
- GRILLED CHEESE
- 8 slices sandwich bread ( I use potato bread)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I like to use a mixture of different cheeses)
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder (can add more if desired)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Brush a foil-line baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
- Cut tomatoes in half and place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place onions and whole garlic cloves on the baking sheet.
- Arrange everything in a single layer.
- Roast for 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes (they should slip right off. You can leave the skin on the cherry tomatoes if you plan on blending it really well)
- Peel cooled garlic and place into the blender, followed by the tomatoes, onions, basil and oregano.
- Blend until smooth (or lightly chunky if you prefer.)
- Transfer mixture to a large deep skillet or pot.
- Stir in enough chicken broth just until your desired consistency is reached.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer gently until hot.
- You now have a GREAT base. Time to bring it to life!
- Add in smoked salt and black pepper a little at a time until well seasoned being sure to taste after each addition. Salt & pepper really brings out the flavor!
- Use white sugar to bring down the acidity and to lightly sweeten if needed.
- Feel free to add in garlic powder, onion powder or dried oregano and parsley for more flavor.
- Ladle soup into bowls & garnish with fresh basil and a splash of heavy cream.
- To prepare the grilled cheese, heat griddle on medium heat.
- Mix together mayonnaise, garlic and enough parsley for a pop of color.
- Brush 4 slices of bread with the mayo mixture and place mayo side down on the griddle.
- Spinkle on cheese.
- Brush the top slices of bread with the mayo mixture and place on top of the cheese (mayo side up)
- When the underside of the sandwiches are golden, flip over and allow the other side to turn golden.
- (Press the sandwiches a little with a spatula to flatten.)
- When both sides are golden, remove from griddle and cut into 3 sticks.
- Serve alongside the tomato soup.