My cousin Jin once said “I would be scared to cook for you”. Now I don’t know if she meant because she thinks I’m picky or because she thinks I’m some kind of kitchen goddess. Truth be told I’m super simple and I rarely make anything fancy schmancy. My taste buds are very friendly and accepting : ) So I’ll be waiting on my dinner invite Jin! Get’ta cooking!!
One of my favorite go-to, super simple, taste bud loving recipes is french bread pizza! Omg some days I swear I like it more than regular pizza. It’s quick, customizable and there is just something about sinking your teeth into that buttery, garlicky crust and hearing that crunch. So priceless.
Even though this is a pretty simple meal, I’ve tasted my fair share of blah french bread pizzas including Stouffers (ducking because I know some folks who swear by that being the best) Ok I know I’m about to sound picky here when I just said I wasn’t but there are a few must haves for a really bangin’ french bread pizza. There are just 2 rules really.
Rule #1. It’s all about the crust! The crust must have a lil crunch to the bottom. It MUST!!! It’s part of the eating experience. A soft or soggy crust is not fabulous! Seasoning the crust with a buttery garlic mixture adds much flavor and toasting it before add on the sauce and toppings keeps it from turning into a soggy mess. Cooking on a higher heat helps keep the bottom nice and crisp, yet still allowing a layer of fluffiness on top.
Rule #2. There must not be too much bread! Oh gawd no please! French bread is thick and fluffy. To make the best french bread pizza try pressing the bread down to make it flatter. This makes for the perfect thickness. The last thing you want is to be overpowered with bread that has sucked up all the sauce and overpowered all of the other flavors. Flatten, flatten, flatten!
Once you have the crust down you’re pretty much good to go! Let your imagination run wild with different sauces, cheeses, meats, veggies, etc. You really can’t go wrong with your favorites.
In the video I show you how to whip up several varieties; chicken, spinach, Alfredo (my favorite!), BBQ chicken, Philly cheesesteak (for the hubby) and of course regular old cheese (for Isaac)
That’s the beauty of french bread pizzas, you can totally throw together a pan of several varieties in a flash making these great for parties, lunch, dinner or last minute get togethers.
I HIGHLY recommend you make the Chicken Spinach Alfredo french bread pizza and the BBQ chicken french bread pizza! They are the best!
- Chicken Spinach Alfredo- Alfredo Sauce, chopped grilled chicken breast, baby spinach, white onions, mozzerella cheese
- BBQ Chicken Pizza- Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce, chopped grilled chicken breast, onions, mozzarella cheese
- Cheesesteak Pizza- Marina sauce, shredded roat beef lunch meat, green bell peppers, onions, mozzarella cheese and provolone
- Plain Cheese- Tomato Basil pasta sauce, mozzarella cheese
French Bread Pizza (Variety)
By Divas Can Cook
Recipe type: Pizza
- 1 loaf french bread
- 8 Tablespoons butter, melted
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese or extra sharp white cheese, grated
- Pizza toppings and sauce (see my video for the 4 different pizzas I made!)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice the french bread right down the middle.
- Flatten out each piece by pressing it firmly with your hands.
- Mix together butter, garlic, olive oil and grated cheese in a bowl.
- Spread mixture evenly on both loaves of bread.
- Place bread on a baking tray and bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- Spread desired sauce onto the french bread, top with cheese and toppings.
- Bake for 7 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve hot!