“Old-fashioned strawberry shortcake in cookie form! An easy, one-bowl recipe that’s full of strawberries! “
Watch me make these strawberry shortcake cookies from start to finish!
Have you ever had old fashioned strawberry shortcake? The kind that’s served on big, hot, from-scratch buttermilk biscuits, topped with fresh strawberry preserves and finished off with homemade whipped sweet cream?
It’s the kind my grandmother makes and I swear to beans these strawberry shortcake cookies tastes exactly like it omg! It seems like cheating that I can get my strawberry shortcake fix in these simple, one-bowl cookies but I’m not complaining!
Now these are very similar to my white chocolate raspberry cheesecake cookies minus a few changes like the baking temperature and omitting a few ingredients. However, the one-bowl method in this recipe creates a cookie that spreads a bit more and has a much fluffier, cakey texture.
I’ve had several strawberry shortcake cookies that have left a little to be desired. Either they were made with artificial-tasting strawberry jello or pudding or they were a dry mess. (Not that it kept my greedy behind from eating them though. ) But these strawberry shortcake cookies are having none of that foolishness!
They are so soft, fluffy and buttery tasting (thanks to that butter-cream cheese combo)! The fresh (but frozen) strawberries provides all the strawberry power they need. Don’t leave out the white chocolate chips/ vanilla chips! They add that bit of “sweet cream” flavor to balance out the tartness from the strawberries.
Isaac took one bite and said “mmm they taste like jelly biscuits!” Funny since he doesn’t even like jelly! These strawberry shortcake cookies are downright addictive yall. And yep I prefer frozen strawberries in this recipe.
For some reason the strawberries seem to keep their bright red color when they are mixed into the batter while still frozen. When I’ve made these with fresh berries the strawberries became sort of a pinkish-brown color.
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 10 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup white chocolate or vanilla chips
- 1½ cups frozen strawberries, diced into tiny pieces (plus more ) *see note*
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Add in sugar and egg.
- Add in flour.
- Sprinkle the baking powder, salt and baking soda over the flour.
- Use a rubber spatula to work in the flour until a dough forms.
- fold in chocolate chips and frozen strawberries.
- Using a mini cookie scoop, scoop out the cookie dough and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Press pieces of frozen strawberries into the cookies (this will make the cookies look prettier when they are done with bits of strawberries peeping out)
- Bake for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies to a cooling rack.
- Store in airtight container