“Easy, glazed Lil Smokies without jelly or BBQ sauce. An easy, quick recipes that creates perfectly sweet, sticky, tangy lil smokies!”
Watch me make these easy glazed Lil Smokies from start to finish!
Lil Smokies are such a classic appetizer. I don’t know too many people that don’t like them. They manage to show up at baby showers to weddings and just about any other event where appetizers are on the scene. They aren’t my favorite appetizer of choice but my boys loooove them. “Make those little hotdogs” is what I hear every time I’m trying to think of an appetizer to take somewhere.
These easy glazed Lil Smokies come together pretty quickly, making it the perfect appetizer for last minute events. I’ve had so many varieties of Lil Smokies from honey mustard to the kind made with BBQ sauce and grape jelly! They are super versatile!
This Lil Smokies recipe is one my grandmother use to make. The glaze is BOLD! Sweet and tangy as ever which makes it pair up well with salty, smokey Lil Smokies. Because the glaze is very basic, you really can throw in your favorite seasonings and herbs.
I just used a bit of smoked paprika and black pepper, but feel free to add in some chili powder, oregano, onion powder, garlic powder or whatever else floats your boat! I wouldn’t even judge you if you decided to add lots of bourbon in there. If you do, invite me over heeeeeyyyyy!
In this recipe I’m using Hillshire Farms turkey Lil Smokies. I found them in Target and I LOVE them. I actually prefer turkey over the beef version and not because of the lower fat. They don’t release as much oil into the sauce when you cook them, making them reheat well. A sprinkling of fresh parsley makes these little guys look even more inviting don’t you think?
Don’t forget the toothpicks!!
- ½ tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons onions, minced
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ½ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons chili sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ⅛ teaspoon liquid smoke (can use more if desired)
- ½ cup water (add more if you want to cut the boldness down a notch)
- 14 oz turkey lil smokies
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent and fragrant.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Stir in ketchup, chili sauce, brown sugar, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, smoked paprika and liquid smoke.
- Add in water and stir until combined.
- Taste sauce and adjust any seasonings if needed. (Sauce will be sweet and bold. See Note)
- Add in lil smokies and simmer until sauce has thickened to your liking. (remember sauce will continue to thicken as it cools).
- When ready to serve plate lil smokies using a slotted spoon and garnish with fresh parsley.
Since these are appetizers, your guest will only be eating 1 or two. The sauce will be sweet and bold.The lil smokies are very salty and smokey. The sweetness of the sauce will balance everything out.