Cheese + Rice+ Zucchini= 1 Easy & Tasty Side Dish! I use to love this dish growing up. It was so creamy, cheesy and downright comforting. My grandmother added diced tomatoes and it made for such a pretty little presentation.
It’s been about 10 years since I’ve had cheesy zucchini rice but when I stumbled upon a similar recipe on Karly’s fabulous blog I knew I had to make it! I’m so glad I did because it’s becoming one of my favorite go-to rice dishes. I served it up with this simple whole roasted chicken and a garden salad. Dinner was so yummy and easy.
Next time I think I might add in a little bit of diced tomatoes and maybe even some squash. Hey if you can squeeze in more veggies why not right? The cheddar is really strong in this recipe so be sure to use a a type of cheddar that you like. I prefer a mixture of mild and medium.
I’m seriously thinking about making this a one pot skillet meal and throw in some smoked sausage or grilled chicken next time. I just love a one skillet dinner, don’t you?
Cheesy Zucchini Rice
By Divas Can Cook
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded ( I used mild and medium)
- 1 zucchini, grated (squeeze dry if you prefer a lighter texture, instead of creamy)
- In a saucepan add chicken broth, butter, and rice.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Do not stir the rice while it's cooking. Only remove the lid to check for doneness at the end of cooking time.
- When rice is done, remove from heat.
- Fluff rice.
- Stir in garlic powder, cheese, and zucchini.
- Serve hot. Reheats well.