I’ve been on a really big soup kick lately. I just can’t seem to get enough of the stuff. My soup craving actually started back in August but it was just way too hot to fool with soup. Now that the weather is all rainy and cool, soup has been a staple in my house. This week it’s this easy, creamy broccoli cheddar soup!
I just recently became a huge fan of broccoli cheddar soup after having it at Panera Bread and Ruby Tuesday. I must say though, I prefer the homemade version. This broccoli cheddar soup recipe doesn’t rely on velveeta for the cheesy taste. I love velveeta but not in broccoli cheese soup. I need the real deal holyfield baby, PURE CHEESE!
If you’re looking for a broccoli cheddar soup recipe that is flavorful, creamy, comforting, and downright addictive then whip this up ASAP. My family loves it, even little Isaac, so I’ll definitely be adding it to our fall/winter menus.
The consistency is just perfect, not too soupy not too thick. Just the way I like it.
Watch me make this creamy broccoli cheddar soup recipe from start to finish!
Broccoli Cheddar Soup
By divas can cook
- 2-3 cups fresh broccoli
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ½ cup white onions, finely diced (can use more)
- ½ cup baby carrots, finely diced *optional*
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1½ cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup smoked gouda cheese
- Place broccoli in a large bowl with about 4 tablespoons of water.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and microwave for 7-10 minutes or until broccoli is steamed and tender.
- Chop broccoli into tiny pieces. Set aside.
- In a medium pot, add chicken broth, onion, carrots and garlic.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until onions are tender. Set aside.
- Add milk and heavy cream to a bowl and microwave until warm. Set aside.
- In a large pot or deep skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour, stirring constantly for about 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat if flour starts to brown.
- Add in salt and pepper and continue to stir for 1 minute.
- Slowly stir in milk and heavy cream.
- Stir in chicken broth mixture.
- Stir in cheeses.
- Add the broccoli
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve hot in bread bowls or regular bowls.