If it’s one thing I love about the warm weather months it’s all the fresh berries that are in season. I LOVE berries. I get so excited when someone brings me fresh berries. There are just so many things that you can make with them; pies, cakes, muffins, jams, jelly, cookies, ice cream….ahhhh berries!
I’m seriously going to plant me a ton of berry bushes one day. I say that a lot but one day I really am. Until then, I’ll just scavenge off of my in-laws bushes and the Farmers Market. My husband and son picked these blueberries from his uncles house and they were just so beautiful, firm and perfect.
As soon as they brought these fresh blueberries into the house I knew right then and there that a blueberry crumb pie was in order.
One thing I love about this fresh blueberry crumb pie recipe is that it’s sweet yet you can still taste and SEE the blueberries. I’m not a fan of crumb pie recipes that mash up the blueberries, load it with a crap load of sugar and flour to make that thick, custardy type filling. I like to see those perfect, fresh blueberries in my crumb pie, not a blueberry jam. No what I’m saying?
This blueberry crumb pie recipe has fresh, sweet, tart blueberries and a light syrup, a buttery pie crust and an amazing crumb topping. It’s a little piece of heaven really. After my hubby got done eating his first slice (which was his first time having blueberry crumb pie) he said “I could marry you all over again” lol Gotta love a man that’s easy to please. Wait until he taste this chocolate pecan pie I got coming and I just might persuade him to plant me some berry bushes.
Watch me make this fresh blueberry crumb pie from start to finish!
- 1 deep dish pie crust (see my recipe in description)
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice (optional)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (sometimes I use ¼ cup)
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup quick-cooking (1 minute oats)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Rinse blueberries gently under cool water and drain.
- Place blueberries in a large bowl and drizzle with lemon juice if using. Set aside.
- In a small bowl combine next 3 ingredients (sugar, salt, flour).
- Sprinkle flour mixture over blueberries. Use your hands to gently toss the blueberries to get them coated.Set aside.
- Press the pie crust into a lightly greased deep dish pie plate.
- Pour the blueberries onto the crust and spread in an even layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together, brown sugar, oats, flour and cinnamon.
- Cut in the butter with a fork and stir until mixture is crumbly.
- Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly ontop of the blueberries.
- Bake for 35-45 minute or until golden.
- Let blueberry crumb pie rest for 10-15 minutes before cutting.
I've never used frozen blueberries in this recipe so if you do, I can't promise you anything.
Feel free to mix it up! Blueberries and raspberries go great together!
Be careful when washing and mixing up the blueberries. They are very fragile.