- Cool dough will be easier to work with so keep it cold. (see note in recipe)
- May need to increase baking time, but watch it carefully!!
- Don't let the ricotta scare you, it's makes these cookies so fluffy, rich and soft!
- Bake sale best-seller!!
It’s been a pretty rainy, blah week so far. Today I could have easily stayed in my cozy, warm bed and hibernated all day long. Unfortunately Isaac would never let me do that so I decided to use the drab weather to be productive.
We went to the library, grocery store, decluttered a few drawers, and brightened up the afternoon by baking up these cheery lemon ricotta sugar cookies with lemon glaze (it literally got so sunny while we were baking these). Something about lemons make me happy and these lemon ricotta sugar cookies make me RRRREAL happy!
I had to shoo Isaac away or he would have eaten a whole batch these cookies. He kept saying “mommy those cookies are so good…I sure wish I could have another one, but I can’t. Right?” lol I was surprised since he’s normally not a lemon fan, but then again, I don’t know too many kids that can resist a flavored sugar cookie.
These lemon ricotta sugar cookies are sweet, soft, and chewy around the edges and have a light refreshing lemon taste. They totally remind me of poundcake in cookie form. The lemony bang comes from that sweet, tart and fragrant lemon glaze! DON’T SKIP THAT PART!! The lemon glaze takes these cookies from “good” to “oh yes lawd!” especially if you’re a lemon fan.
That tartness of the glaze really balances out the sweetness of the cookie and I just love seeing those bits of lemon zest in the glaze. I may actually double the amount of lemon zest next time just so I can see it more. So pretty!
Watch me make these lemon ricotta sugar cookies from start to finish!
- 2½ cup all purposed flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- zest of 2 lemons
- yellow food coloring (if desired)
- LEMON GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (amy need more or less)
- zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream together butter, sugar and ricotta cheese until well combined.
- Beat in egg, fresh lemon juice and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients a little at a time, using a spatula to incorporate.
- Add yellow food coloring for a darker yellow if desired.
- Dough will be sticky so place the bowl in the fridge for about 20 minutes or until the dough firms up.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a mini ice cream scoop, scoop out the dough and place about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 6-7 minutes or until the bottoms are lightly golden brown.
- Let rest in pan for two minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling prepare the glaze.
- Mix the glaze ingredients up in a large bowl. The glaze should be thick enough to pipe. If the glaze is too thick add a few more drops of lemon juice. If the glaze is too thin add in a tad more powdered sugar.
- Pipe the glaze onto the cooled cookies and allow the glaze to firm up before packaging the cookies.
- Store in an airtight container between layers of wax paper to keep the cookies neat.