- I haven't tried different kinds of cake mixes with this recipes, but I hear it tastes great with lemon, strawberry and other flavors. Yum!
- When making the glaze you may need to add more milk or powdered sugar to reach a glaze like consistency.
I’ve been looking for an occasion to make these fluffy, cake batter pancakes. That day arrived today when my sister called and said she’d had her baby! I was the proud aunt of a yummy little 4lb 12 oz baby boy! Yep, this was the PERFECT day to celebrate with birthday cake batter pancakes!!
And man oh man was my taste buds HAPPY!!!
Yellow cake mix, colorful sprinkles and a butter cream glaze turned these regular homemade pancakes into fluffy, exciting, cake batter pancakes ready to celebrate any occasion. ( I think I’ll start putting cake mix in all my pancakes!)
Honestly, I really wasn’t expecting myself to like them that much. I mean, I love cake batter stuff, but I don’t like for pancakes to be REALLY sweet. I just wanted to make them because they were pretty and I know how much Isaac loves sprinkles.
So imagine my surprise when I realized I was on my 4th pancake! I really had to stop myself from eating the whole batch. They are just sooo freakin’ good! Sweet but not overkill. Isaac thought they tasted like doughnuts lol.
I’ll definitely be starting this tradition for Isaac’s birthday breakfast in the future.
You can easily make these cake batter pancakes fit any occasion by changing out the sprinkles. Christmas? Use green, white and red. Valentines Day? Use pink, red, and white. Easter? Use pretty pastels…You get the point.
But today it’s all about my new little munchkin pie. Happy birthday Little D!! Welcome to this amazing world that just got better today!!!
Watch me make these cake batter pancakes from start to finish.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup yellow cake mix
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1¾ cup milk
- Colorful sprinkles
- BUTTERCREAM GLAZE
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 2-3 Tablespoon milk
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, cake mix, baking powder,
- sugar and salt.
- Add in beaten eggs, milk, and butter.
- Stir gently just until dry ingredients are well incorporated. Batter should be a little lumpy.
- Let batter sit for 7-10 minutes.
- Fold in sprinkle
- Heat buttered griddle to 375
- Add batter to the griddle using a ¼ cup to scoop out the batter.
- When small bubbles start to break on the surface of the pancake, it is ready to flip.
- Stack pancakes on a plate when done.
- Make the glaze by combining all of the glaze ingredients.
- Stir until it reaches a glaze consistency. You may need to add more milk if it’s to thick or more powdered sugar if it’s too thin.
- Drizzle butter cream glaze over several pancakes and top with sprinkle.